Thursday, April 24, 2008

Letter from Singaporean Paul De Silva, April 24, 2008

Hi Mr Nair,

My name is Paul de Silva.

I stumbled upon you blog today as I was Googling on the local sentiments of the recent Parlaimentary Report on the Mas Selamat escape.

A you may have guessed, Singaporeans are skeptical but not bothered to say the least. I guess that's what one can expect when dictators rule people's lives entirely and shut them out from all mode of participation.

The blam appears to fall squarely on Wong Kan Seng, our million dollar minister. Parlaiment proceeding were all so funny. Like a circus.

But that's not why I'm decided to write to you about.

The reason I'm writing to you is I have long been considering immigrating from this s**t hole I was born in. I'm marrried to a foreigner and as such have an avenue to depart. The only things that's left is my remaining HDB mortgage.

At the rate they're raising the with drawal age and limits, I've long concluded that I'll never smell my CPF unless I relingquish my Singapore Citizenship. I really do wish there were another way. But I don't think so. But I must say that it's quite a big and scary decision giving up my citizenship. But many other who have goe before me proves that's there is a better life out there.

I was hoping if I could turn to you for little advise much later on, when the need arises.

Meanwhile, I'll just go about my life in Singapore as quietly as I can.

Warmest Regards,

Paul de Silva

Having read your from Singapore

Hello Paul,
You are very welcome anytime.
Regards
Gopalan Nair
Fremont, CA
April 24, 2008